Part 1 (Storage) – Guidance to Fixed Pesticide storage on the Farm & other professional users.
The Health and Safety Executive, has laid out a specification on how to store pesticides in a responsible way.
This section, focuses on ‘Fixed Pesticide Storage‘
The HSE say
- Quote: The store must be large enough to hold pesticides, any part-used containers, and able to cope with stock being held over due to poor weather. Unquote:
We offer a watertight and structurally sound steel shipping container. They are either 8ft long by 7ft wide by 7ft6in high or 10ft long by 8ft wide and 8ft 6in high or 20ft by 8ft wide and 8ft 6in high (these measurements are external). In order to meet with HSE our pesticide storage containers are fitted with a steel bund and completely steel internally.
2. Quote: Estimate the likely total of stocks to be held at any one time. You must include pesticides such as slug pellets, rodentcides and wood worm treatment products. Unquote:
Our pesticide storage containers are fitted with steel bunds. For the 8ft or 10ft unit the bund is 6in high and for the 20ft we fit a 12in high bund. The customer would have to advise us if this bund size is not suitable, so we can adjust our quotation accordingly.
3. Quote: Check if you need to make additional provision for storing any of the special classes of pesticides e.g. Moisture-activated gassing compounds, pesticides marked ‘Oxidising agent’ such as sodium chlorate. Unquote:
We fit air vents to our chemical stores, however, we would need to be guided by what your requirements are. We do not profess to know about every specific chemical that you are likely to store.
4. Quote: Consider the need to store other potentially harmful chemicals and allow for likely amounts. Unquote:
Again we would be guided by your requirements.
5. Quote: Provide adequate storage for rinsed empty containers awaiting disposal. Unquote:
The whole interior of the pesticide storage container is steel and we fit steel shelves for your convenience. So if you purchase the right size unit e.g. 8ft,
About Jane Billing
Jane Billing has over 30 years in shipping container supply. During that time Jane has earned a very broad knowledge of the whole shipping container industry. From construction, to shipping, to adaption and conversions, if you have a question about any aspect of the shipping container industry Jane will likely have the answer for you. After many years working for some of the biggest names in the shipping container industry Jane set up her own company, Billie Box Ltd in 2012. Since launching in 2012 Billie Box Ltd has sold well over 1500 new and used containers.