We know that you are making a substantial outlay on a chemical Store. So we thought we would try and guide you through the differences between a New or Used shipping container converted into a chemical store.
Second hand containers (used)
A second hand container will have been used for shipping all around the world by sea and road. During it’s life; they will have been lifted on and off trucks and ships, whilst full or empty. Odours can appear, depending on what the cargo is and how often the doors are opened and closed. So they will have seen a good shipping life! After about 10-15 years or so (time varies depending on the shipping line’s sale policy), these used containers will be perfect for static storage.
Used shipping containers are often dented, scratched and have non-transferable stains.
Chemical storage 4 farmers then take a used container and convert it into a Chemical store or pesticide store for the farming community. A shipping container is a perfect lockable and secure unit. As part of the specification, we replace or overlay the wooden floor with steel bunded flooring. The flooring is either steel checkerplate bunded or steel raised mesh floor.
The exterior of each used container is repainted dark green (to blend in with the surroundings) and the interior is repainted a very light grey (to enable the best interior lighting as possible). Please note that when we repaint a shipping container, the dents of the container can be accentuated. Please see below example of a repainted used container.
We always supply a watertight and structurally sound second hand shipping container. These containers will last around 10-15 years as a site store.
All shipping containers are built in China and our shipping lines use them once to ship them to the UK. The shipping duration is around 3 months, door to door. We refer to these as ‘Once used’ or ‘One trip’ containers.
Again these containers are handled by dockers and transport companies and are lifted on and off trucks and ships. The handling can generate one or two minor dents and the odd scuffs and scratches.
Once we receive these new containers into the UK, we can then convert them into chemical stores. For more information: please click specification.
A lock box is fitted, this is a shrouded area to house a padlock, where you cannot get access with a set of bolt croppers. You will still require a padlock to ensure the unit is locked.
We recommend that you carry out the following maintenance jobs, so you can ensure you get the maximum use out of your chemical store:
- Before receiving your chemical store, please ensure the area is level and solid. Every shipping container must be sitting level, if it isn’t you will find it difficult to open and close the doors. For more information: See our How to level a container here.
- The door hinges and locking bar handles are free and eased to ensure ease of opening.
- Do not use a pallet truck inside a chemical storage container fitted with a mesh floor, often the truck will get stuck and can over time make the floor deteriorate.
- Please do not drive a fork lift truck inside any chemical storage container, the floors are not able to carry the weight.
- When loading, please do not put your goods right up against the ceiling or side panels, this can often stop the airflow.